So many moons ago (like last summer) I would post some of my favorite things in a little series I called “These Are My Obsessions.” I think it is high time I bring it back but in a bit of a different way — instead of posting my weekly/monthly obsessions I’m going to post them by categories. First up, cosmetics!
I have considered myself a “make-up person” for basically ever. That’s not to say that I’m drowning in it on a daily basis, but just that I really like make-up and I like to try new products all the time. As I have gotten older, I’ve expanded my love of make-up into nails and hair and all kinds of beauty products in general. So just for fun (and to avoid the more serious and chaotic things going on in my life) I thought I’d share some of my current favorite/can’t live without products:
1) Sebastian Shaper Hairspray – $15ish: Credit to Miss PoliSci for turning me on to the magic of Shaper. Seriously, love this hairspray. It holds really well but isn’t sticky or heavy and sprays in a nice mist. Plus, Ulta has a super good buy-one (or two)-get-one-free deal every few months where you can stock up. Tip: Store upside down to prevent nozzle from clogging. If it does clog, rinse with warm water and use a safety pin to clear off any build up.
2) e.l.f Studio Cream Eyeliner – $3: This is a recent Target find and I am really loving it. I like to buy e.l.f. products when I want to try something new/different but don’t want to spend a lot of money. I don’t use the brush that it came with to apply it because it is too little but the eyeliner goes on smoothly and doesn’t stay wet like a liquid liner would. Plus, in Miami it stayed on all night without smudging and looked passable the next day. (I realize that probably shouldn’t be the standard by which I base my make up selections, but well, that’s how I roll sometimes…) I’m definitely planning to purchase additional colors.
e.l.f. Cream Eyeliner in Metallic Olive
3) O.P.I. Nail Polish – $8-$10: Yes, I am a nail polish snob. I really like the consistency of OPI nail polishes as well as the amazeballs color selection. My fave shades are: Lincoln Park After Dark (fall/winter), Nonfat Soy Half Caff (best neutral, Sephora exclusive), On Collins Avenue (summer/toes) and Flashbulb Fuchsia (summer/toes).
Arbonne Nurturing Day Lotion w/ SPF 20
4) Arbonne Nurturing Day Lotion w/ SPF 20 – $45: This is my most expensive cosmetic by far but I think it is absolutely worth it. My awesome Arbonne consultant (Miss Dubs!) hooked me up with some great samples when she first got plugged in with Arbonne and I have been hooked on this lotion every since (and I’ve convinced Miss PoliSci to join me in my obsession). The Day Lotion is light, non-greasy and contains sunscreen — really everything I could want in a moisturizer. Arbonne also makes a wonderful Hydrating Eye Creme. I fully support its use as well. One bottle of Day Lotion usually lasts about 3 months for me, so although it is on the pricier side of cosmetics (for me anyway) it does go a long way, which is really nice.
5) Ulta Collection Eyeshadow – $4-$7: Although I think MAC‘s eyeshadow pots are far superior, they also cost twice as much. Alas, I rely on my handy-dandy neighborhood Ulta to supply a variety of eyeshadow for my blending needs. Ulta’s shadows go on smoothly, aren’t too powerdy/flaky, and blend well. My favorite shades are Gold Leaf, Cashmere, & Antique Gold (to create my favorite summer-time “bronze goddess” look). Ulta usually has a good buy one-get one deal on these (and the rest of their store brand cosmetics) fairly regularly. Plus, it appears that these eyeshadows are on sale for $2 each online right now, which is completely crazy. (Oh, I will also say that the colors on the website don’t look true-to-life to me, but my computer is a dinosaur so it might just be my crappy monitor quality…)
I am currently on the hunt for the perfect mascara, a work-appropriate lip gloss/stick, a plummy blush (although a mineral blush I recently purchased at Ulta is definitely in the running) and a translucent all-over powder. Suggestions/recommendations?
What are your favorite beauty products? Are you brand loyal or do you like to mix it up? What types of cosmetics are you willing to splurge on?
*Click on images for sources.
Note: None of the aforementioned brands/companies are paying me to endorse their products. They don’t even know 1) I exist and 2) I love their products so much! I just wanted to share some of my favorites with you!