I’m contemplating changing my Life List to a 30 Under 30 Project just to give myself greater accountability. 30 Under 30 is pretty much what it sounds like — a list of 30 things to accomplish before I turn 30. I’ve got a little less than 30 months until I turn 30 and I think it would be a great project for me to accomplish 30 goals by then. I won’t be able to move everything from the Life List over to the 30 Under 30 project (there is no way I’ll get in that much international travel any time soon!) but some of the goals can co-exist. Here are a couple of things I’ve managed to cross of the Life List lately (that I’ve been completely negligent about blogging about!):
1. Attend an opera. I saw Don Gionvanni in February at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center. It was in Italian. (Duh). There were subtitles. While I was incredibly impressed with the mad vocal skills of the performers, I can’t say I was converted to a life-long opera patron.
2. Renters Insurance. After my horrible bike theft experience last summer, you would have thought I would have been on the renters insurance train asap. But I am tool and I never got it in Tulsa. After moving to OKC and discovering that Mrs. Preppy’s hubby could help me get a policy, I took care of business. Seriously, it was so much easier to do dealing with someone who I know. So now my belongings are covered, which is good considering I’ve been borrowing my sister’s bike for quite some time.
3. Read The Help. I did this in like January or February! I can’t believe I never blogged about it. I listened to the book on my iPod and thought it was absolutely phenomenal. The characters were incredibly well-developed and the story is beautifully told. Mrs. B and I went to see the film on opening night and thought it was fantastic too. I thought the film truly honored the book, which is incredibly rare, and that it was well-cast. Bryce Dallas Howard was the perfect villain as Hilly Holbrook.
I’m really happy that I crossed several things off of the Life List (without even really realizing it). Now, for my 30 under 30:
1. Make macaroni and cheese from scratch.
2. Try 50 new recipes. (0/50)
3. Read the Bible cover-to-cover.
4. Read 10 Classic books. (0/10)
5. Buy a new (or more likely new-to-me) car.
6. Complete Couch-2-5k.
7. Buy OSU Season football tickets.
8. Serve at church.
9. Design, make and hand calligraphy address my own Christmas cards.
10. Join one OKC-based organization.
11. Go on two trips. (0/2) (This doesn’t sound like much, but the Miami trip was my first in 3 years so if I plan to go on two more before I turn 30 that will be an accomplishment!)
12. Furnish/Decorate my bedroom – Nightstand, bookshelf, paint dresser, reading chair, curtains. (0/5)
13. Go on a weekend getaway trip solo.
14. Run in 10 races. (0/10)
15. Have a quilt made out of all my old Kappa Delta t-shirts.
16. Grow my own pepper garden.
17. Take at least one tennis lesson.
18. Attend a musical.
19. Practice yoga 2x per week for 3 months.
20. Meet with a financial planner.
21. Go camping.
22. Buy a new (or new-to-me) bike to replace the one that got stolen last year.
23. Read a book written in French.
24. Host a dinner party.
25. Back – up all music and pictures onto external hard drive.
26. Print pictures and put in albums from 2008 to present.
27 . Replace my lost (super sad face) Kappa Delta badge/pin.
29. Read 60 books. (0/60)
30. Reach my goal weight. I don’t know what that exact number is yet (I want to find a happy, maintainable weight), but I know I want to start my 30s feeling healthy and fit.
I’m really excited about this project and I hope I will do a much better job of blogging about it than I have been doing on my Life List lately!
Have you ever heard of a 30 under 30 list? What is/would be on yours? Do you have anything you want to accomplish before a milestone birthday or event?