There are few miscellaneous things that have crossed my mind this week that I wanted to share, but don’t really warrant full blog posts so I thought I would just combine them all into one jumbled, random post for your enjoyment.
1. Last month I posted Facebook = Failure, about how Facebook often makes me feel inadequate/jealous/lame. Well, last week’s message at church was called “I Quit Comparing!” It was all about comparing ourselves to other people regarding our appearance, possessions, level of success and circumstances. He actually said something about always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride when discussing circumstances comparisons. I swear God was talking directly to me through the pastor. One of my favorite quotes: “Success is about being who God wants you to be, not who you wish you were.” Everything he said really hit home and reminded me of the importance of contentment. So if you related to my post, I encourage you to check it out!
2. Valentine’s Day. It’s pretty much every where — every store I go to, every website I peruse. I had a new thought about it this week. I know that it is a total Hallmark holiday and it is pretty unimportant in the big scheme of things. And while I would like to say that I don’t care about it at all, a little, small, teeny, tiny part of me does. Most of my friends who are in relationships say that they don’t care about it/aren’t that into it either and they aren’t making any really big plans. I think it is much easier to say it isn’t a big deal/you don’t care about Valentine’s Day when you have the option of caring — i.e. when you have a Valentine. When you have a significant other, you can choose to celebrate or not as a couple. When you don’t have a significant other, the decision is made for you. I think it is similar to people saying they don’t care what size their pants are — it’s a lot easier when the size is a single digit and you have an amazing metabolism or women who say they don’t worry much about leaving the house without make up on — it’s easier to do that when you have nice skin/coloring. So yeah, maybe I care a little bit because I don’t feel like I have the choice to not care.
3. Driver’s License Photo = Inspiration. My driver’s license FINALLY expires on November 30, 2011. I seriously cannot wait. I have pretty much loathed the picture from the moment it was taken. Getting a new DL photo should def go on my “Reasons I Want to Lose Weight” list. I would like to be able to whip out my license when I get carded (which sadly happens less and less often all the time) and show a nice, thinner picture of my self. Maybe I should blow up the horrid pic and put it on my wall as a reminder…
4. Shameless plug. My awesome friend, Geoffersonspin, is training to Ride for Cure for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society again this year. He and his sister plan to raise over $5,000.00 and complete a one-hundred mile ride at Lake Tahoe. If you feel so inclined, show Geoffersonspin some love and donate to a great cause!
5. I read this quote recently and thought it was really poignant and interesting so I figured I would toss it in here so I’d have a #5:
“Finding love is not as hard as picking the right person to spend the rest of your life with.”
Yeah. Deep. Let that roll around in your head for a while. 😉
Hope you are all looking forward to a warmer, sun-filled weekend! Anyone doing anything fun?